History

Pleasant Grove Piney Baptist Church

Organized 1879

 

Pleasant Grove Piney Baptist Church was organized by the Rev. J.L. Haggard on November 28, 1879, with the aid of Michael Cate who served as Moderator of the council and S.M. Irwin was clerk. There was 44 charter members.

Until a meeting house could be built the church met in the one room log Crowder Branch School House. This place of worship was located approximately on –half mile from the present buildings on property know as Gillett’s Cemetery.

The land for the church was given by Jake Bauchee. The first pastor, J.L. Haggard, helped construct a small square one-room wooden meeting house to the rear of the present building. This building was used until a second and larger building was built in 1902, just east of the present building. Sunday school rooms were added to the rear of this building in 1939.

The Sunday School was formed from the beginning and B.Y.P.U. (Discipleship training) was organized in 1933 with Harold Wilson as director. The first Vacation Bible School was held in 1942.

The Women’s Missionary Union was organized in 1945 with Mrs. Beatrice Stallings as director. By 1956, WMU groups included one Baptist Women’s Group, one YMA, one ungraded GA, one Sunbeam, and one Sunbeam nursery.

With continued growth a new sanctuary and educational building was constructed in 1969. In 1974, a fellowship and educational building was completed. The sanctuary was remodeled and a vestibule and steeple were added to the church. In 2000, the church added the Family Life Center.  The FL Center host an all-purpose meeting center, with a full kitchen and recreational area, two class rooms, choir practice room, hospitality room, one Pastors office, one Choir / Youth Directors office, church office, and clothing pantry.

In 2014 the sanctuary was remodeled and updated to include, new pew covering, new carpet, painted, new ceiling, interior trim and baptistery opening, installations of new speaker system and projection equipment, and the relocated of the sound booth overhead in vestibule.

 

As of October 11, 2015 there have been 39 Pastors whom served Pleasant Grove Piney Baptist

J.L. HAGGARD H.C. HEMSTEAD ISSAC HAGGARD S. CUNNINGHAM
J. MILLARD WHITE JOHN M OTEY JOHN N. BULL A.A. HAGGARD
J.C. DAVIS MURPHY FAWVER JOE STEPHENS J.F.HALE
TOM MARSH T.J. SMITH J.B. REED THEE LAMBER
E.M. LEWIS JOE T. CARTER FLOYD LANGSTON MCKINELY OAKS
HARVEY BALES G.CLIFFORD PUCKETT ROBERT LANGSTON O.P. CHESNEY
ELVIN HICKMAN MARVIN SILVER GEORGE PRINCE BRYAN PUTNAM
J.C. MARTIN RAY CARR BEN NICELY SAMMY PINKSTON
JERRY DEZEARN NATHAN LIVINGSTON BRUCE MARTIN BEN PRICE
TIM HALE MIKE LEE  Steve Smith -Interim (2014-2015)  Rickey Hardin 

Oct. 11, 2015- Present